Friday, February 16, 2007

Bobby Morton, Version 2007

Ahhh, the monkey has been removed...

You may remember my post from earlier this week, where that "sneaky dude" crept up on me in a situation that I later wrote about. Well, though I didn't write about it, that dude came up once again during the course of this week. After that, it was right time for me to do some serious damage control. As I looked at it, I saw two charred bridges, a confused teen, and some terrible flashbacks to a person I never wanted to be again...Yikes!

All this being said, I have found the one difference between the person I long to run away from and the person I am today. That's right. Yesterday was confrontation day. Well, I shouldn't say that confrontation day makes the difference, but the type of confrontation surely does. You see, Bobby Morton version 2002 would confront everyone involved, but would rehash the entire situation and basically beat anyone else into an apologetic submission. I was quick witted and cut-throat with my words, and if I had one inch, I'd make sure everyone saw I was right. Nope, not this time!!! Here's where I'm different than that jerk, haha.

I pulled a friend of mine (one of the charred bridges) aside and went back to our disagreement. I apologized first and foremost but asked if I could have the opportunity to better word what I was trying to say. With that opportunity, we were able to see how close we originally were to total agreement, and after a few more minutes of clarifying and apologizing for little stuff, the bridge had been restored. But this friend was the least of my worries from earlier in the week.

Later, my other "bridge" came in, and on Monday, I would have been okay leaving this one burnt. Yesterday was a different story, friends. When we stepped aside, I hadn't even finished my apology when he came at me with his own. We spent 10 minutes growing through our disagreement and we both felt we had huge supporters at the end of the conversation. It was truly amazing.

Look, I know I haven't "arrived." I know I have a long way to go, but sometimes I get discouraged. I look at my life and for some reason, I doubt that I'm making the strides I'm supposed to be making. This week I found one amazing truth. That truth is that there is no need for doubt when you offer your life to Christ. Sure I handled things differently than I should have, but I'm still a different man than I was five years ago.

And five years from now, I'll say the same thing about me now.

Straining everyday,

Bobby Morton, version 2007

1 Comments:

Blogger Gabrielle said...

Thanks for this! It is such a comfort to know that God really has been working on me and that I am not the same as I once was. Great encouragement - keep it up.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home